Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father[d] is not in them. 16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. 17 The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever. 1 John 2:15-17 NIV
Let me say up front, this is more imagery than precept upon precept. If this is helpful, praise the Lord. If you don’t connect with what I am sharing, Praise the Lord. Let the Holy Spirit guide you into purity and holiness that befits a child of God.
I was thinking about the results of participating in the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life. Not the actions themselves, but what happens to us spiritually when we love the world in these ways. These are three thoughts that came to me, regarding participation in wrongful desires and actions.
The lust of the flesh affects the exterior. For a believer, the exterior represents the armor of God. When a person participates in sins of the flesh, his spiritual armor becomes ineffective. The shield of faith is lowered, The breastplate of righteousness gives way to shame. The helmet of salvation becomes loose and wobbly. Have you noticed those struggling with sin, begin to wonder if they are saved? The gospel of peace becomes irritable and argumentative.
The lust of the eyes. Participating in this type fo lust affects the purity of the heart. I know that you receive a new heart when you become a believer and sin does not take this away. But lust of the eyes corrupts the blessedness of being poor in spirit. The vibrancy of relationship to God through the Holy Spirit is linked to an open free flow of communication back and forth. The lust of the eyes creates blinders of the heart. You no longer see your need for God in the same way. Nor do you understand the need which others have for a savior. The Holy Spirit is needed for this type of eye surgery.
The Pride of Life. Participating in these types of love for the world affects your God given mission. Jesus had an internal laser focus on seeking to save those who were lost. The pride of life is like losing your magnetic part of your compass. You are unable to discern your spiritual bearings, therefore every direction you choose is the right one. If you think it is right, then it must be right. There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12
What is the antidote, the remedy?
- The cross. Engage and reengage in the power of the cross and the blood of Jesus to bring forgiveness and healing.
- The cross is the only power to adjudicate forgiveness
- You can’t earn forgiveness at the cross, you can only receive
- The cross is where flesh died.
- Jesus modeled the power of fasting as he entered into the temptations with the devil
- Saying no to food exercises the will to gain strength to follow the Holy Spirit and not the flesh
- The body of Christ
- The devil loves to remain hidden by separation.
- The body, each part, remains healthy as they remained joined together with each person, part, supplying health to the rest of the body.
- There is strength to resist when there is humility to be joined with a close friend.
- Fall in love with Jesus moment by moment
- Those who are cap;tivated by love have little time to pursue anything of lesser value.
- Worship connects the heart to Jesus like nothing else
What do you find is helpful to resist loving the world? Do you have a plan or strategy to remain pure? Do you share what has been helpful for you with other believers?
Let us walk as children of the light – together. Hearts pure, armor in place, fulfilling our mission on the earth.
Blessings Love ya’ll