Although I am less than the least of all the Lord’s people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the boundless riches of Christ, Ephesians 3:8 NIV
Passion for the Lost Part 7 – Focus on a People group
Excerpt from Hudson Taylor Autobiography – Missionary to China
Well do I remember that occasion. How in the gladness of my heart I poured out my soul before God; and again and again confessing my grateful love to Him who had done everything for me — who had saved me when I had given up all hope and even desire for salvation — I besought Him to give me some work to do for Him, as an outlet for love and gratitude; some self-denying service, no matter what it might be, however trying or however trivial; something with which He would be pleased, and that I might do for Him who had done so much for me. Well do I remember, as in unreserved consecration I put myself, my life, my friends, my all, upon the altar, the deep solemnity that came over my soul with the assurance that my offering was accepted. The presence of God became unutterably real and blessed; and though but a child under sixteen, I remember stretching myself on the ground, and lying there silent before Him with unspeakable awe and unspeakable joy. For what service I was accepted I knew not; but a deep consciousness that I was no longer my own took possession of me, which has never since been effaced. It has been a very practical consciousness…Within a few months of this time of consecration the impression was wrought into my soul that it was in China the Lord wanted me. https://www.wholesomewords.org/missions/biotaylor6.pdf
Earlier Hudson Taylor recorded that his father had a passion for China and wanted to go as a missionary, but was unable. He prayed “if God would give him a son, He wanted that son to go to China.” Hudson spent 51 years as a missionary in China.
I have found that God places a “burden” on many people for a particular people group. It becomes the passion and vision for which they are committed to serve the Lord. How can you nurture this passion?
- Volunteer for several different ministry opportunities in your church such as the elderly, homeless shelter, or soup kitchen
- Read books about missionaries. While preparing this article, I came across a writing on Cambodian church history. I was interested having just returned from that country.
- Pray for countries around the world through ministry groups like Operation World and Every Home for Christ. They have compiled great information to guide your prayer time.
- Get a globe or world map and pray for regions to receive the gospel
- Go on a short term mission trip. Many people fall in love with the people, and find themselves going on repeat trips.
God loves the whole world. After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. Revelation 7:9 NIV Somebody had a passion for these groups of people to go and share the good news of Jesus. Who “in the world” captures your heart?
Blessings Love y’all