God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.” Genesis 1:28 NIV
March is a big month for our family. When Pam I married (34 years ago) we had one birthday to celebrate, she was born on March 17. Then the twins, David and Jonathan were born on March 22nd. Five years later our fifth child, Katy was born on March 16. Melody our last child (the sixth) was born on February 28th, also our anniversary, so she gets an honorable mention as being part of the birthday month. Then, David married Elizabeth who celebrates her special day on March 12th. Our first grandchild by Jonathan and Melissa turns 6 this year on March 14th. We have some unofficial adopted children, Treshawn the 19th and Leemar the 3td. That’s a clear example of increasing in number, multiplying.
God’s blessing over humanity was twofold. He said, “Be fruitful and multiply or increase in number”. From the very beginning of creation there was a bent in our DNA to reproduce and have more children. I have just given an example of increasing in number. The blessing of God is upon families whether they have one child or many. The blessing of God is on couples lives who “nurture other” children if they have been unable to conceive their own. (Jesus poured his life over 12 men who changed the world).
How does the blessing influence “fruitfulness”? God’s first spoken blessing was over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air on day 5 of creation. On day 6 he created mankind and blessed him to be fruitful. Fruitfulness is more than reproduction.
Observation about fruitfulness
- Fruit is one way to identify the tree
- Many are taking DNA test to “identify” their family tree.
- The expression “the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree” is used to reflect how we act very much like our parents
- Fruit comes in abundance
- One seed of a fruit bearing tree can produce thousands of seeds. God’s plan for you to be fruitful in your life is boundless
- Fruit is seasonal
- Just as trees go through seasons to bear fruit again, we are designed to reenergize in seasons of rest so that we have the creative capacity to grow more. Learn to appreciate seasons, God is still blessing you.
- Fruit is unique
- I picked lots of oranges from the same tree…no two were exactly alike. God’s blessing is so profound that no two people are exactly the same. Even our identical twins are different although they look a lot alike in pics
- In the same way there is so much diversity in fruit, God made each one of us different. Your difference is uniquely you.
- Fruit is primarily for others to enjoy
- The seeds are for reproduction, but the fruit is for food for others to enjoy. God wants you to be fruitful, so that you can be a blessing to others. All of your words, actions, and service is to be a blessing for others
Let’s take love as an example of a fruit that increases. I was asked how can I love so many of my children. I told them love is like a balloon that is filled with air. Then I would blow some more air into the balloon. It increased in size. I repeated this several more times and the balloon continued to grow. The fruit of love has an infinite capacity within your heart to increase toward others. Let God’s blessing of fruitfulness continue to grow and expand in your life.
This Monday Mantra is a reminder that God created you to be fruitful. The creativity and uniqueness which you possess is special. You have a natural bent to be fruitful. Thanks for sharing your fruit with others.
Blessings Love y’all