He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm. Matthew 8:26 NIV
Spending a few years as a children’s pastor gave me the opportunity to learn lots of little songs. We were taught early, “what is learned in song is remembered long.” Some were silly, but the themes stick with you, like Jesus Loves Me This I Know. The following song comes back to mind when thinking about today’s bible verse
Faith, Faith, Faith just a little bit of Faith, Faith, Faith, Faith just a little bit of Faith, Oh, You don’t need a whole lot (clap, clap) Just use what you got (clap, clap) Faith, Faith, Faith just a little bit of Faith,
The song is easy to sing and harder to put into practice or so we think. Children exhibit faith and so can we. Let’s look at some of the unique elements of faith to see if we can grow stronger with the little that we have.
Uniqueness of Faith
- It is the only currency to live our Chrisitan life in the way that God desires.
- And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. Hebrews 11:6
- We begin our Christian life by faith that Jesus has forgiven our sins and we continue our whole Christian life by faith
- There is no other path to walk than to live by faith
- Faith is following a voice, not the rules
- My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. John 10:27
- Where the Spirit leads will always be in line with obeying God’s word
- Faith is not blind, it is responding to a call
- Peter said, “Lord if it is you command me to come?” Jesus answered, “Come!”
- The key is discerning what invitation the Holy Spirit is inviting us to follow
- Henry Blackerby coined the phrase, “God is always at work and He invites us to join Him”
- Faith is belief in action, not limiting itself to adopting facts as true.
- You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror. James 2:19 NLT
- Faith takes our belief and requires us to forgive, witness, love our enemies, give away our money, pray for healing, and talk to a God that we cannot see.
- We grow in faith, so start with what you got
- A little bit of faith can move a mountain. The woman who put in two coins in the offering as her trust in God, will be remembered throughout eternity, because Jesus was watching her faith in action. It was not about the amount of money, but the act of faith.
- Faith always includes dependency
- You are leaning on the Holy Spirit, so this reminds you that you are not in charge of bringing about the results.
- You don’t wait to “feel” like you are strong in faith, you are trusting in the awareness that God is speaking to you.
- It’s okay to make a mistake when you are trying to please God,
- He is bigger than our mistakes. He will work it all to His good pleasure.
- Our heavenly Father wants us to succeed as his children in obeying him
- “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for[f] a fish, will give him a snake instead? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” Luke 11:11-13
The Bible is full of men and women who were not perfect, but are remembered for their faith response to God. Abraham believed God and it was credited to him as righteousness, but this was after he had uprooted his whole family and journeyed to a land that God would eventually reveal to him. Faith in action.
On this Fear Not Friday let Faith Rule the Day. What has been causing you fear? Is there a faith response element that God is calling you to do? Are there any steps of obedience that you have failed to follow in faith, such as forgiving someone, giving money to someone, making a relationship right?
According to Luke 11, God will help you grow in faith, learn to walk in faith, help you discern his voice by faith all because you ask your heavenly Father to help you.
Remember “you don’t need a whole lot, just use what you got, faith, faith, just a little bit of faith.
Blessing Love y’all