In that day you will no longer ask me anything. Very truly I tell you, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete. John 16:23-24 NIV
“What are you specifically praying for?” my daughter Melody asked her sister-in-love, Elizabeth. Her answer was a simple one word clarification. After the phone call, Melody said to me, “I have seen God work in prayer recently, I have faith to ask for God to work in a big way in their lives.” I told her, “I’m joining in with your faith and agreement for the prayer request to be answered in Jesus name”.
The Privilege to Ask
Jesus told his disciples a shift was about to occur. “Until now” meant that something was changing. He was instructing and inviting them to engage in dialogue with Father God to ASK in His name, Jesus’ name, and then they will receive.
Have you made the shift? Do you daily bring request to God in Jesus name, believing He will answer? Do you have confidence to approach the throne of grace boldly to present your request? When you finally get to heaven, will you have left some “asks” on the table in which you failed to bring them to the Father? There is a whole world of opportunity to engage in prayer in the aspecting of asking. This does not minimize the importance of worship and honor in prayer
Why do we fail to ask in Jesus name?
- Wrong motives. James 4:3 – When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures. Take the time to let God sort out your motives, but don’t let that stop you from asking.
- You don’t feel qualified with the special privilege. When you become a follower of Jesus, you become a King’s kid, John 1:12. Because of Jesus’ redemptive work on the cross, you have special access to the throne of God. “Come unto Me”, is an open invitation to all of His children.
- Sin. The principle of washing your hands before coming to the table is true when presenting request to God. We need to take the time for cleansing of our sin to occur. Psalm 66:18 If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened;
- Disappointment. You presented a request to God and the outcome was not what you were praying for. The devil fills in the reasons why. “God’s too busy. God only cares about important people. God doesn’t really care about your needs. If you were truly spiritual, you would have known the “secret” way to ask God. God only answers your request every now and then.” When you feel beat up and accused, those thoughts are coming from the devil.
- Other. This is your opportunity to answer the question -”Why don’t you come to God daily and ASK? Because I… Don’t let the “other” become a barrier which keeps you from the privilege of bring your request to God
In the model prayer we call the Lord’s prayer, Jesus instructs us to include 3 things in our asking.
- Daily provision
- Help us forgive as he forgives us
- Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil
How would your day be different if you received the Lord’s help in just these three requests? With all of the injustices occurring in our world today, how would forgiveness change the atmosphere? Do you really believe God will help deliver you from evil, and allow you to avoid temptation?
I know I have used a lot of questions in this blog entry. On this Monday Mantra, I want us all to re-engage our Father in asking. Ask for salvations in your family. Ask for God to work out some difficult situations. Ask for provision. Ask for wisdom. Ask for His peace to settle upon your family. Ask for Jesus’ name to be honored and glorified. Ask for an infilling of the Spirit’s power and presence. ASK.
Be persistent in your asking. You have the privilege to be the one who asks for the burdens on your heart. God wants to hear from you. You have the privilege to ask. What do you want to ask of the Father in Jesus name? Please do not fail to come to God daily, and while you are in His presence, ASK!
Blessings Love y’all