When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 –NIV
The late Rev. Peter Lord was a master at creating illustrations for his sermons. I can still vividly remember an illustration from over 35 years ago while serving as an intern. He built a door on stage which would open and close. He talked about the need to engage with a prayer closet. He would open the door and begin to pray. The door remained open. Then he would remember an appointment he forgot and would exit the closet. He did this several times. Then he added the catch phrase which was his sermon subject. “You know how to open the door to your prayer closet, but you don’t know how to shut the door to the world. Let’s look at ways to shut off the world’s noise.”
Solomon suggests that a person can lie down in peace with no fear and the sleep will be nourishing. Many people are longing for a “good night’s sleep”. Some have physical conditions which interrupt healthy sleep. Some sleep well, but have a hard time falling to sleep. Some are troubled with emotional and mental issues which rob them of restful sleep. And then there are those who fall asleep easily.
Knowing that I have NO sleep therapy credentials, I would like to offer a few actions which have been helpful in the past, which may assist you in a higher quality sleep. There is no order of importance, just ideas.
Better Sleep Ideas
- Turn off the electronics earlier in the evening, this would include cell phones, computers and TV’s.
- Identify food habits which may be causing some problems. When we are anxious about and issue, we overeat and keep eating way too late.
- With proper supervision, take melatonin or other sleep aids, but I encourage you to follow the rest of these ideas which address underlying stress.
- Spend time praying aloud over the events of your past day and ask for help for the issues you will face tomorrow. Praying aloud is like a brain dump. When an issue is brought before the Lord, its hidden power of “bothering you” is revealed. God can bring revelation to address your anxiousness.
- Read the Bible. If you have a hard time focusing, use one of the apps to listen to the Bible being read. I use this method often. If the devil is making me anxious and taking away my sleep, I will start filling my mind with the word of God. The devil will make sure I fall asleep quickly, for he does not want me to engage the sword of the Spirit. If God is keeping me awake, then I have placed myself in a position to hear Him.
- I walk through the process of “doing Philippians 4:6-9”
- 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you
- I make sure I present my request thoroughly to help me move into the thanksgiving attitude mentioned in verse 6 in order to help my my focus and receive peace.
- I claim and pray verse Psalm 127:2
- It is vain for you to rise up early, To sit up late, To eat the bread of sorrows; For so He gives His beloved sleep. NKJV
- I pray this verse often over others. “God, you who never sleep nor slumber, continue to watch over us while we sleep. Psalm 127:2 states that you give your beloved sleep. I ask that you help me get the rest tonight which I am in need of. Make the promise of 127:2 effective in my life and help me cease striving at the work issues of life. Amen”
May your fears and worries find a barrier against the promises of God for His children as you sleep. God knows you need the mental and physical rest. May you experience sweet sleep as fear and anxiety are held at bay through the power of God. Have a good night’s sleep.
If you find that some of these ideas help you have a better night’s sleep, praise the Lord. What have you found that helps you receive quality sleep from God’s perspective?
Blessings Love y’all