Then they asked him, “What did he do to you? How did he open your eyes?” He answered, “I have told you already and you did not listen. Why do you want to hear it again? Do you want to become his disciples too?” John 9:26-27 NIV
Passion for the Lost Part 6
Big Al came to the front of church to give a testimony. He had been in the hospital close to death. He was in a comma and had now way of praying for his on healing. Others prayed on his behalf. But God healed him and he was standing in front of us. His joy overflowed into a song. “I am a living testimony…I am a living testimony. I should have been dead and gone…but he healed me. And NOW, I am a living testimony.” Living testimony. That phrase was so strong and pure that I can still remember his passion and tune from that morning.
There are lots of ways to share the gospel message, but your own personal testimony is one of the most compelling. Jesus heals a blind man by spitting on his eyes and then tells him to go wash his eyes in a pool. After he obeys Jesus, his eyes were healed, but he has no idea what Jesus looks like. His simple confession of healing is captured in the song Amazing Grace – I once was blind, but now I see.
Helpful hints when you share your testimony.
- It is helpful to write it down and practice telling your story
- Include scriptures. You are free not to give chapter and verse number. Example, “A man came and told me that God loved the world so much, including me, that He sent His son Jesus so that I could live eternally with Him.”
- Your “badness” is not the most important part of the story. Rather, it’s the lostness of relationship because of making decisions apart from God. We have a ministry NOW of reconciling people back to God like Jesus did with his death and resurrection. People know they are bad, they just don’t know how lost they are with no way to heal themselves.
- Others can identify with sin…we have all done it. Focus more on GRACE…we all need it and it is available to all who believe.
- If you were saved as a child, your testimony may include more of your life after salvation and the grace that you have experienced.
Testimonies give hope. Paul’s story is recorded three times in the book of Acts. Paul would stand before political officials and proclaim in essence, “if God could save me after killing and hurting other believers, then he could save you.”
People can disagree with your theology. They can try to present arguments against the truths of the Bible. BUT your experience of a changed life because of Jesus always trumps an argument.
Grace, Grace God’s Grace…found in Jesus…who found me.
Blessings Love y’all