The tongue of the wise uses knowledge rightly, But the mouth of fools pours forth foolishness. Proverbs 15:2 NKJV
I had the opportunity to practice The Great Handshake with a few of my students who ride my bus. The children are judged for their physical representation, the quality of a good handshake, their confident speech tone, and their ability to portray a compelling desire of what they will be in the future. One booth allowed the children to explain how they would use 1 million dollars. Let my put this in perspective, moments before the practice, they were giggly, loud and talking about nonsense. What made the difference in their quality of words?
The tongue of the wise will…
- Try listening to understand others, rather than looking for an opening to share your opinion. This usually will mean that you ask good follow up questions.
- Slow down a little so that you can think about your words before they come out. Our verse today indicates a spewing out, bursting forth, quick flowing volume of words. Mistakes will happen in the abundance of words
- Stop talking about others. How much of your speech is in the realm of gossiping about others? We may sound authoritative, but it is moving fast in the wrong direction.
- Choose topics of discussion wisely. Paul says, “whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable–if anything is excellent or praiseworthy–think about such things.” Philippians 4:8, There is a wealth of good subject matter to talk about.
- Remain silent until you have a worthwhile contribution. Solomon says that even fools are thought wise when they keep quiet. You can choose to remain silent.
- Find wise people to listen to – you will pattern after that which you follow. This person does not have to have a lots of degrees or use long words, although they might. Look for speech that comes from the heart and speaks to the heart.
- Surround yourself with friends who value wisdom. You will all grow much wiser at the end of the day.
Do you think you have a reputation as one who is wise and treats knowledge correctly? May God bless you with the wisdom to engage in life giving conversations.
Blessings Love y’all