Then Nathanael declared, “Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the king of Israel.” Jesus said, “You believe because I told you I saw you under the fig tree. You will see greater things than that.” John 1:49-50 NIV
In the movie, “GroundHog Day”, Bill Murray’s character gets stuck reliving the same day again and again. No matter how he tries to change the events of the day, when he goes to sleep, he wakes up at the same time on the same groundhog day to his alarm clock. He is stuck repeating his past until the spell is eventually broken.
Jesus is always moving forward with “greater things”. How can we continue to move forward when we are identified so much with our past?
- Our past is the past. No matter how good or bad the decisions were made yesterday, you can’t go back and change it. No amount of worry, contemplation, rethinking it, wishing it was different, mediation, or hoping will change the actions or thoughts of yesterday. Even good things are now in the past.
- Make true statements about the past. Nathanael declared the truth that Jesus was the Son of God and the king of Israel. Properly referring to your past will help you move forward. No excuses necessary. Own up to your part and forgive others.
- For that which was good, give God the glory.
- For that which was wrong on your part, receive God’s forgiveness.
- For that which was terrible to experience, receive the comfort and peace that Jesus offers for you now. Learn to bless those who are against you.
- For that which was wearisome, receive God’s grace and mercy that is applied liberally.
- How would Jesus describe what you experienced yesterday? Say what He says.
- Today is for “greater things”. Even if you are under the influence of the consequences of the decisions from yesterday, today is a new day. God is present with you at this very moment. His peace abides with you even closer than the air you breathe.
- With God, all things are possible. Since God is present with you, then He leads you onward, right at the starting point that you find yourself in today. He can make a way where there seems to be no way.
- Follow His lead. You don’t have to try to “make up for yesterday.” Just follow God’s lead for today. He knows which green pastures are needed for you and where to find the living water for your thirst.
- When the “greater things” occur, give God the glory. It’s our privilege and special honor to use the words from our mouths to declare the goodness of the Lord in the land of which we are living. Can we ever exhaust praises to Him who is worthy?
Follow God’s Spirit to lead you to see “greater things”. Receive whatever you may need from Him to move beyond yesterday. God has stored up riches of His kingdom for you to experience today. May you walk the pathway of “greater things”.
Blessings Love y’all