He began by saying to them, “Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.” Luke 4:21 NLT
Over the last 6 years we have hosted a public reading of the entire Bible. We start in Genesis and read verse by verse all the way to Revelation. We have assigned readers who read for 15 minutes and then the next person starts reading the next verse in line. This takes about 80 hours and we read straight through night and day.
BUT not this year. Today, May 3rd, we will read the entire Bible in one hour from 2:00pm to 3:00pm central time from our various locations around town. With the stay at home order and social distancing recommendations we have adjusted the Bible Reading. We divided the Bible into 366 separate chapters and asked people to choose a passage. You are free to join us in reading from your own home.
Why am I passionate about people reading the Bible Aloud?
- There is a blessing that comes from the reading of the Bible. Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near. Revelation 1:3 NIV. Whether you are reading or listening to the Bible, God says there is a blessing benefit in the action of Bible reading.
- Paul says, “Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching.” 1 Timothy 4:13 NIV. Notice that the public reading of the Scriptures is a separate activity from preaching and teaching. Paul knew that God works through the proclamation of His words.
- Faith comes by hearing. We grow stronger in our faith through the feeding on God’s word. When we read aloud, our ears hear it differently and it affects our spiritual man to grow stronger. We can also listen to the Bible being read and have the same experience.
- God’s word is living and active. His word has the ability to penetrate into our thinking better than any other activity.
- I personally believe that reading God’s word affects the spiritual atmosphere over a community. We are asking and speaking God’s kingdom values over our city.
- Testimonies reveal the joy of reading the Bible. Followers of Jesus hold the word of God as precious. Most feel a special privilege to be the one to proclaim aloud God’s word. Many times their seemingly random passage had a specific message for them that day.
Bible Reading Power Hour – Sunday May 3rd, from 2:00pm – 3:00pm central time. Join us today as we read God’s word aloud. Read some of your favorite passages. May you be blessed from the reading and hearing of God’s word.
You can share a pic or video of your reading on FB by including Hope 4 My City in your post description.
May God’s word be a continual lamp unto your feet and a light unto your path.
Blessings, Love y’all