Gideon replied, “If now I have found favor in your eyes, give me a sign that it is really you talking to me. Judges 6:17 NIV
A very young boy was given a present in a plain cardboard box. Inside was one box of 24 count crayons. Before he could start coloring, the dad took the boy by the hand and led him into another room. This room was filled with coloring books, board games, video games, and a large TV. Dad was so excited to share all of these other gifts with his son. After waving his arm to show forth all of the gifts, he looked down to see his son’s expression. His son was sitting coloring his cardboard box blue and green with a smiling sun.
- Favor – Hebrew word (Khan) means graciousness and acceptance.
- This is the same word that was used to describe Noah. Among all of the wickedness of mankind, Noah found favor before God.
- Interestingly this is the same expression in Genesis 18 that Abraham used when 3 visitors were passing by his tent. He asked, if I have found favor, would they stay so that he could refresh them and share a meal with them. This is exactly what Gideon did for the angel. During that visit the men told Abram that Sarai would have a child within a year and they were on their way to destroy Sodom. With this knowledge we see Abram interceding for the life of Lot.
- Moses in Exodus 33 declares that God knows his name and he has found favor before Him. But this revelation would mean nothing if God did not continue to be present with Moses and the people of Israel as they traveled through the desert to the promised land. Proof of God’s favor would be God’s abiding presence.
- Sign – Hebrew word (oth) which could mean a flag, an object or evidence. This word was used in creation to show the purpose of the lights in the sky. These lights would be signs to distinguish seasons, days and years. Notice the permanency and accuracy of faith in these signs. When God establishes a sign – it is trustworthy.
- Favor – Inside us is a desire for God, the Father, to look down upon each of us with favor and kindness. It is quite unsettling to realize that our sin both inherited and perpetuated by us, causes God to turn His face away from us. Only Jesus found favor before God. From the heavens God declared that Jesus is My son in whom I am well pleased.
- Here is the deal. When we accept Christ into our heart, we are also placed in and under Jesus’ name. NOW, God looks at us in light of His Son’s favor. ALL the time. The joy, life and peace found in Jesus is available to us at any moment. God’s continual bent toward His children is to love and cherish them. We live continually in God’s favor.
- God promises to never leave us nor forsake us. Because of the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit, God remains with us at all times. He doesn’t stay at the church building. You have become the temple carrying God’s presence with you, wherever you go.
- Sign –
- Jesus said that people are known by the fruit coming from their lives. As followers of Jesus, the fruit of the Spirit should be ever producing. We bear the fruit that others get to enjoy. This is not perfection, but an overflow of the goodness that is being produced from God’s life within us.
- The cross is a continual sign before God of the sacrifice that Jesus gave on our behalf. We are clean because of the shed blood on the cross. We you need a sign of God’s love…look to the cross.
Many people remain uncertain about God’s favor. The presence of sin causes this uncertainty. Being found “in Christ” through the witness of the Holy Spirit allows us to know that we remain in God’s favor. the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Romans 8:15-16.
Live in the reality of God’s favor upon you because of Jesus. You are free to color your cardboard box and/or engage in the abundance of God’s blessings. No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly (those found in Jesus). As God’s child, you are highly blessed and favored. Enjoy His favor.
Blessing Love y’all