And the Lord said to Paul one night in a vision, “Do not be afraid, but go on speaking and do not be silent, 10 for I am with you, and no one will attack you to harm you, for I have many in this city who are my people.” Acts 18:9-10 NIV
At times Paul was persecuted so severely that he had to flee the city. At Corinth, God told him not to be afraid, but stay. He was in Corinth for one and half years teaching the word of God. May God give you discernment when to be silent and when to stay and speak.
Today, let’s look at the specific relationship between fear and not speaking. God’s word to Paul clearly related that fear would cause Paul to not be bold in his teaching. The opposite response to fear was an openness to sharing.
What types of fear would cause you to be silent about telling others of the goodnews of Jesus? The following is a partial list of thoughts that Satan may use to keep you silent?
- Fear of being different – You may not hear anyone else talking abot religious things, so be silent so you can fit in.
- Fear of competency – You may think that you are not qualified. What if they ask you a tough question that you can not answer?
- Fear of rejection – what if they don’t like me anymore? You don’t want to lose friends over a religious argument
- Fear of ridicule – no one wants to be made to sound like a fool or be made fun of..stay silent
- Fear of hypocrisy – You know you are not perfect, what happens when they point out your failures
- Fear of persecution – whether verbal or physical, will you be able to endure persecution?
God’s answer to Paul was two fold. Keep on speaking and do not be silent. Spend your time falling in love with Jesus and inviting the Holy Spirit to fill your heart with love and joy. It is much easier for the language of love to spill over into your conversations.
You have a wonderful story to tell to the nations…It’s God’s story and now you are a part of that story. Others can join in…if you “tell them” how to get involved. You are God’s voice to share the continuing story.
On this Fear Not Friday. Be bold and do not be silent
Blessings Love y’all