Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. 1 Peter 3:8-9 NIV
Satan is like a lion with his teeth knocked out by Jesus. But his roar is chilling. The sound is filled with superlatives of the most extreme consequences of scenarios. Part of resisting him is to identify and separate his lies. He takes your struggles and tells you “his reasonings” for your problems.
He uses trials and sufferings as his proof text to validate his lies. The trials and the suffering are real, but not the lies that the devil brings along with them. Here are a few examples of lies that you may have had and the countered faith response.
- “Nobody has ever gone through what I am going through”, He is trying to make your situation seem so unique that even God does not know how to help you. 1 Peter 3:9 tells us that other believers are experiencing similar situations. God has peace, comfort and strength to get you through. The hope may come 1 step at a time, but it will come.
- “I feel all alone, no one really needs me”. This is one of the favorite wedges of Satan’s tactics, isolation. It is always easier to manipulate someone when they are standing alone.
- The Holy Spirit grafted you into the body of Christ. Every joint has a purpose and a reason for being. Paul writes that those that we deem t be the lesser of importance are actually of higher honor
- Jesus said that never will He leave you nor forsake you. Not during suffering, or trial, or after you feel like you have blown it, will it make Him leave.
- “I’m worthless, I always fail when I try to do something for God.” Satan attacks your personal worth and your potentiality in regards to who you are in Christ. Satan’s greatest fear is that a child of God understands their true identity in Christ.
- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13 All things include making it through this troublesome spot that you are in right now.
- How great a love the Father has lavished upon us that we should be called the children of God, and that is what you are. 1 John 3:1. How much more will you heavenly Father give…when you became a child of God you entered into possessing a life of the “how much more”.
Speak the lie once aloud so that the enemy is exposed. Speak God’s word repeatedly so that your heart begins to grasp the hope of His word. His promises are like a rope pulling us up to the firm foundation of His love. His promises cut through the lies of the enemy to let you walk freely in the light of His love. Lies lead to darkness, dispair, and isolation. God’s love leads to light, truth and freedom. Look for the end result to identify the truth that is yours or the lie that is harassing you.
Suffering and trials are still present. As they hated the Son, so you will be misunderstood and treated unfairly. Keep loving. This opens our hearts to receive the peace, comfort and love that will sustain us through the trials.
On this Fear Not Friday, let faith arise during your suffering. Stand firm today. Search with intensity for God’s promises. Resist the lies of the enemy. Be vulnerable enough to let another believer encourage you and pray for you. Jesus draws near to help you. Faithful is He who calls you and He will also bring it to pass.
Blessings Love y’all