But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. Ephesians 2:4-5
To say that someone is “spiritually dead” is a true statement before being born again. To the average person, there is no physical sensation of being spiritually dead. They can love, cry, feel sad, get angry, be passive or aggressive, lose their cool or be happy. So, what are the characteristics of being “spiritually dead”? This is important if you are going to understand what being spiritually alive with Christ means.
- To be spiritually dead is to be separated from life. All that is dead has no commonality with life. A physically dead person becomes cold, has no air flowing through their lungs, does not taste or eat, and does not hear or see. We even remove their bodies from our presence, because death has separated them from life.
- Spiritual death is a separation from all that God is and does. A spiritually dead person does not have the capability to interact with God on any level. Heaven is not an option. There is a chasm which separates those alive in God and those who are dead spiritually.
- To be spiritually dead is to be unresponsive. One of the first comments when help arrives to a person who is lying down and looks dead, “are they responsive”. The helper check vitals for signs of life. Answering questions and dialoguing cohesively are quick indicators that a person is okay. I remember in CPR training, you ask a person, “Are you OK? Are you OK?” Alive and healthy people respond.
- Spiritual death makes a person unresponsive to God’s truth and word. They have no affinity to pursue God’s ways. God’s ways do not make sense to a spiritually dead person. Here are some comments they may consider, “Why give your money to the church? Why should you forgive them? You don’t have to love everybody!” A spiritually dead person does not respond to truth.
- To be spiritually dead is to be blind. The Devil has blinded the eyes of the spiritually dead so that they can not see the truth. These blinders remain in place until the word of God begins to break off the shell. God’s word judges the thoughts and intent of the heart…it’s the only thing that penetrates that deeply.
- The removal of spiritual blindness is a very important aspect of praying for the lost (spiritually dead) person. Because God’s word has the power and authority to break off spiritual blindness, it should be used often while witnessing. There is power in the reading and the hearing of God’s word to break through the blindness.
To be spiritually alive with Christ is to awaken to His voice. To be spiritually alive is to see the kingdom of God influencing the kingdom of this world. To be spiritually alive is be responsive to His love, joy, and peace. To be spiritually alive is to walk in freedom with the chains of bondages broken off.
If you believe Christ arose again from the grave and is living into eternity, you are with Him also. God made (notice the past tense) you alive with Christ at the same time Jesus arose. You are just as alive spiritually as Christ is at this very moment. You are NO longer separated from God’s presence.
This has nothing to do with feelings which come and go. You are not trying to become more alive with Christ. It is now part of your history, your story, your past, and your testimony. Once you were dead, but now you are alive with Christ.
Your aliveness has given you the capacity to interact with God as Father and child. Enjoy your time with Him.
Blessings Love y’all