This is the day the LORD has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24 NKJV
One of the early morning greetings we used with our children as they were growing up was to quote the first part of this verse. The children would have to respond by confessing the second part. Even now, Pam will send out a text to our girls. “This is the day the Lord has made”. The girls will reply to her, “We will rejoice and be glad in it.”
Why is this an appropriate greeting for the new day?
- Ownership. We recognize that it is God’s day from beginning to the end. Everything that will occur is under His watch and sovereignty. All that I have to accomplish and navigate is under His care and promises.
- Stewardship. Because the day belongs to God and not me, I should steward how I use my time wisely. God will even help you know how to prioritize your day. Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. Psalm 90:12.
- Purposefulness. Because you wake up on this new day, God has a purpose for you to fulfill this side of heaven. As a follower of Jesus, God has created us for good works which we get to accomplish on this day.
- Gratefulness. Rejoicing is an intentional attitude of thankfulness and gratefulness. Even when the body aches from age, even when you did not get a good night’s sleep, even when there are trials and difficulties facing us on this day, even when sinful addictions have kept you in bondage, even when the poor decisions yesterday are catching up with you today; you choose to tell your soul “Bless the Lord!”
- Alignment. To choose to be glad on this day is to start your day with the proper alignment for your lives. Your spirit man should lead your day and not your feelings or flesh. Making a decision for gladness is letting your “will” choose the spirit over the soul. By your confession of choosing gladness, your spirit says, “Hey body, mind and emotions today we are going to follow God’s path for joy and gladness. Get in line, because here we go.”
On this Fear Not Friday, this is the day the Lord has made…hopefully you responded, “and I will rejoice and be glad in it.” Each and every day, God is in charge. When things go awry, It’s His day. When it is good and we feel on top of the world, it’s His world we are standing upon. When fear tries to grip your soul – smile – because fear is subject to God’s love and power.
May your thoughts and emotions have a Jesus filled day
Blessings, Love y’all