The righteous should choose his friends carefully, For the way of the wicked leads them astray. Proverbs 12:26 NKJV
The Blog Audio
- A friend is like a book: you don’t need to read all of them, just pick the best ones.
- Friends wave red flags when you have a bad idea. Real friends pick up a camera.
- Never miss a good chance to shut up.
- One who looks for a friend without faults will have none.
- Some of us learn from the mistakes of others; the rest of us have to be the others.
- “I have learned that there is more power in a good strong hug than in a thousand meaningful words.” Ann Hood
- “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one.” C.S. Lewis
- “The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart.” Elisabeth Foley
- Any man who doesn’t love his mama can’t be no friend of mine. Mr. T
Quotes on Friends
As school is about to begin, it is the wise parent who takes time to pray for the friends your children will choose. I was speaking with one gentleman the other day who said he moved his whole family away from a neighborhood, because of the influence other kids were having on his kid. It is one of the most important decisions your child will make…a spouse is the ultimate quality friend.
How do you help your child pick friends? How can you pray for them to make good decisions? How can you nurture your own child into being a person of high quality?
These thoughts are not exhaustive, nor are they in order of priority. I am listing some ideas which may be helpful to pray.
Prayer Prompts for your children to choose friends wisely
- Pray for your child to become a follower of Jesus at an early age
- Pray for them to choose friends who love Jesus, not just attend church
- Model honesty and forgiveness for your child and train them in these qualities, they will use them often in friendships
- Teach them how to “consider others more important than themselves” through asking good questions and listening. They are watching you as parents to see how this works in real life
- Share until you realize the other’s joy. Friendships and sharing are the same exact word, pronounced with different letters.
- Teach your child to walk away from gossip. If a person will talk to you about someone else, they will talk to someone else about you.
- Laughter is a flower of friendship, it looks really good on ya
- Respect for one’s parents will be a rock foundation for good friendships.
- Good friends come in all shapes, sizes, economic backgrounds, and intellect. Don’t judge the book by its cover, look for high virtues and morals
Ask about your children’s friends and listen to what they say. Be observant to their conversation as well as their activities. Children will reveal the direction they are heading…be listening and watching
I hope you are encouraged to stay engaged in your child’s journey to have good friendships.
Blessings Love y’all