After Job had prayed for his friends, the Lord restored his fortunes and gave him twice as much as he had before. Job 42:10
Job lost his wealth, possessions, and children and still trusted God. Then his body was rotting with a skin disease, which was so intense that his wife encouraged him to curse God and die. His friends showed up and sat silently on the ground with him for 7 days without speaking.
When they did speak, they told him that God was punishing him because of sin, he should repent. Over a period of time, he endured arrogant dialogue from his friends trying to represent God to convince Job of his selfishness and foolishness. When God finally spoke to Job, he repented for his presumption to speak to God on equal footing. God then instructed the friends to ask for forgiveness from Job and for Job to pray for his friends.
Notice, “After Job prayed for his friends”, God’s blessing and favor returned to Job’s life. Look at the cycle of blessing.
- Heart change. Both Job’s friends and Job had to turn their heart toward one another. While experiencing excruciating physical pain, Job endured hurt and misunderstanding by his friends. His attitude toward them had to change first before his prayer would be effective. He had to forgive them.
- This could be one of the hardest aspects of walking in blessings. Jesus said that unforgiveness keeps us in bondage. Unforgiveness could be thwarting God’s blessing and favor over your life. Unforgiveness chokes God’s blessings.
- Is there a very close friend or relative that you have said, “there is no way that I can forgive them”? Allow God to help you receive the grace to get to the place to forgive.
- Prayer for blessing for his friends. Job interceded on behalf of his friends for God to be kind to them and to forgive them. He was acting as a priest and as a representative for his friends to God. Prayers and blessings are kindred activities. No prayers and words of goodwill for others equals little blessings. Prayers allow us to enter into God’s perspective about life and our friends.
- Blessing begats blessing. The reciprocity of blessing is engrained in our lives much like gravity. It’s working every time it is invoked. When you bless others, blessing flows back in your direction. When you curse and judge others, you will also be judged and cursed.
Job blessed and prayed for his friends. He got his heart right with God and with his friends. Then God opened the favor of blessings of his life once again.
Take time today to listen to the Lord’s voice for whom you are to be blessing and praying. What a great way to spend your time in prayer.
Blessings Love y’all