They went to Capernaum, and when the Sabbath came, Jesus went into the synagogue and began to teach. The people were amazed at his teaching, Mark 1:21-22 NIV
Being Sunday, many people will go to church to participate in the worship service and possibly Sunday School classes. My grandmother and now my mother have been life-long Sunday School teachers covering many stories of the Bible. Teachers and communicators have been taught that the Word of God is the final authority for submitting their lives. God’s word is powerful and active to penetrate into the very core of our being. We should reverence God’s word to allow it to have authority to speak into and over our lives. The teacher can also speak with authority. How does one gain that authoritative position when teaching?
- First, they are operating underneath designated authority. Usually a group of people have designated this person to speak over them. A group has determined that this person has a right to speak authoritatively over their lives. The religious rulers of Jesus time were constantly asking him, who gave him his authority. Jesus replied that everything He did was under His Father’s rule. Sunday School teachers, Small Group leaders, Pastors, Elders have been delegated a designated area of authority.
- Designated authorities also remain submitted. To remain an authoritative voice, the person should remain under authority. We lose that voice when we live under the adage, “don’t do as I do, do as I say.” Submission to authority creates its own authority. Side note, Satan, the accuser of the brethren, is always looking to attack those who have stepped out from under authority. We are outside of God’s protection when we are not walking under submission.
- We gain authority when we have been changed by our topic of truth. One man said, “a person with an argument is always at the mercy of a person with an experience.” A transformed and change life carries a strong authority.
- Teachers or Preachers – make sure that your subject material has had the opportunity to affect your own life. Make sure that you are not just conveying information. If it doesn’t touch your own life personally, chances are, it will not impact anyone else either.
- Your born again experience is your greatest platform for your authority of being born again. I heard a man yesterday speak about coming out of jail in 1992 as a follower of Christ. He has remained faithful to that commitment. As he was sharing his joy and thankfulness to God for saving him, it seemed like his salvation happened yesterday. His joyful transformation was his authority.
We need to regain the authoritative voice of Jesus. This also means that we need to walk in greater humility, obedience and submission to the Holy Spirit who leads and guides us. Know that when you are speaking with authority, people may not like your tone if it requires them to change. Let God do the changing, you speak from your God given, people designated, life transformed authority.
Blessings Love y’all
P.S. Pray for pastors today to preach with Jesus authority and for people to willingly follow what God is saying through his leaders.