since you are also joining to help us when you pray for us. Then many people will thank God for the favor he will show us because many people prayed for us. 2 Corinthians 1:11 God’s Word Translation
“Will you pray for me?” asked a friend. Your reply is befitting a good “church-going” believer, “Of course, how do you want me to pray?”. You spend the next bulk of the conversation listening to their struggles. You give some counsel and empathetic words. The time passes quickly and you both have to leave. Prayer did not happen then and for most people it doesn’t occur later either. Intercession is hard work, but its value is eternal.
Perhaps, like me, you might need some encouragement in “how to” intercede for others. We typically know how to pray for our own needs, but intercession is a work that most of us don’t know how to do it or keep it up with endurance.
You may not intercede because…
- You don’t know what to pray.
- You don’t see answers to our prayers quickly or sometimes not at all.
- Wrongly believe in our gut that God isn’t really listen to me
- You’ve never been taught or discipled. This means that you spend time praying with someone and you begin to pray just like them
- You don’t have a system in place to pray systematically and consistently.
May today’s verse bring you some encouragement to begin praying. Paul says at least three things of importance in this verse.
- Intersessional prayer is a way to help. Paul saw a connection of his life being helped by others joining in prayer with him. He often communicated his needs and desires. He wanted divine help to share the gospel and do the work of the Lord. He saw help come his way when others are praying with him. Who are you joining in prayer to help them accomplish their task? Who is joining with you? Are you sharing your need?
- Others will give thanks to God for the answers to prayer (then many will thank God for the favor). People are encouraged through the testimony of answered prayers. Are you sharing with others how God is answering prayers on your behalf such as healing, wisdom for decisions that He gave, peace when you needed it or comfort?
- Favor is connected to many people praying. Don’t let pride keep you from sharing your humanity and needs. Invite others to join in prayer for the breakthrough of God. There is a favor or blessing that comes upon you when many people are praying. This is also true when you engage in praying for others. You are inviting blessings upon their lives.
May these thoughts encourage you to do the work of interceding for others. It is a privilege to bear one another’s burdens
Blessings Love y’all