But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. Matthew 6:3-4 NIV
In this world of Instagram and Facebook, when is it okay to share with others the good works that you are involved in? Easy answer, anytime that you want to! The challenge for the Christian is to determine whether the reward for the sacrifice is given NOW by others, or waiting for God to give the reward later in heaven. Nonpromoting of your own glory is a high value in God’s world.
Some key points to remember in giving.
- There is an expectation that you will engage in helping the poor
- Not IF you help and give, but WHEN you give to the poor
- Part of Jesus mission was to bring good news to the poor, they hold a special place in God’s heart
- Don’t announce your giving
- “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. Matthew 6:2
- Key is the direction of announcement for honor
- Be led by the Spirit and not by the need
- The poor you will have with you always.
- Jesus is the only one who has ALL that is needed
- Give what you sense the Lord urging you to do, even if it does not meet the whole need
- Stories inspire others, check your heart when sharing
- Watch out for pride for yourself
- Be careful not to highlight others shame and difficulties as if you have been their savior.
The feeding of the 5000 was a big deal. It is recorded in all 4 gospels. Why didn’t Jesus let this be one of the miracles that remained hidden in history? No one knows for sure, However, It was a teaching experience for all involved.
Some stories are shared NOT because you are highlighting the extreme need, but for the invitation for others to get involved. Whether they choose to hear the sound that resonates within their heart is up to them and God. Your job is to be clear about your mission and God’s glory.
Regarding the feeding of the 5000, Jesus thinned the crowd instead of growing it. He met the need for their hunger at that moment in time. He did not see the advantage to start a daily feeding campaign. That was not His mission. Side note (the Israelites had already experienced a daily feeding program with manna for 40 years in the desert).
- Take your pictures and share your stories
- Remember to constantly check your heart for the recipient of the glory and reward,
- It’s okay if some of your giving remains silent and goes with you to the grave
- If you are married, giving should be done together. Set aside money in the budget for each spouse to give and for larger amounts be in unity. There is a blessing for actions done in faith and unity. This would apply to church groups.
- Eternal rewards are mixed with faith and action, not the bigness of the giving
May God bless your ability to see what God is seeing and hear what God desires for you to do. The disciples saw two fish and five loaves of bread. Jesus saw the abundance of heaven being poured forth to meet the need. He will supply seed to the sower. May your bag be full.
Blessings Love y’all