38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”
40 With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.” 41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day. Acts 2:38 – 41 NIV
Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to the Church -which is the Body and Bride of Christ, Happy Birthday to you!
Pentecost Sunday is the day when the Church of Jesus Christ was born so to speak. Luke records that 3000 people were added to the followers of Jesus on that day. Pentecost is a feast celebrated 50 days after the Passover and is called The Feast of First Fruits of the Harvest.
The Passover includes the message of Jesus’s death, burial and resurrection. We preach this message for salvation, the price paid for the forgiveness of our sins. The power of his shed blood covers all of our unrighteous acts so that we are clean before God. We gain access to a personal relationship with God in which we become His children and He is our Father.
Jesus told His disciples that the events of the Passover needed the outpouring of the Spirit for them to have the power to see lives changed. In Acts 1:8 He said, “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
Oh, How we need the presence, power, leading, infilling, and manifestation of the Holy Ghost today!
- With the abiding presence of the Spirit there is power to live holy lives and to be witnesses of the good news of Jesus.
- The Holy Spirit is promised and available to all who believe as Peter declared, “And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”
- The Holy Spirit is a gift to be received. He is more than the usher-er of the new birth for the follower. Take time to wait and yield to all that He has for you.
- One of the definitive markers of new birth is the Holy Spirit’s manifesting (something that can be seen or visible experienced) presence for a follower of Jesus. Notice Peter’s appeal about the Gentiles coming to a faith in Jesus, ““Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.” Acts 10:47
- The Holy Spirit gives spiritual gifts to every believer to integrate them into the body of Christ. The body of Christ operates through each person exercising their gift to help build others up. The eye needs the feet and the mouth needs the hands.
- Those who are filled with the Spirit smell, talk, act and look like the fruit of His personality which is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control.
- Yielding to the plans and movement of the Holy Spirit is the answer for saving those who are part of this wicked and perverse generation. Peter said, “With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.” How? – Repent, be baptized, and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
On THIS Pentecost Sunday, take some time to thank God for His plan to send us the comforter and the teacher of all things Jesus wants us to remember. WAIT again and again for as long as it is necessary to yield all of your life to His continual abiding presence. ASK for Him to fill you and to use your gifts. EXPECT that He will fill you with power to be a witness of the good news of Jesus to everyone you encounter.
On this Birthday of the church may you receive Jesus’ promised power of the Holy Spirit afresh and anew. Let the Holy Spirit bring order out of the chaos of your life as He did at the creation of the world. Jesus is the door to the way, the truth and the life. The Holy Spirit is the fuel, the breath and fire of God, to sustain us on our faith journey as a follower of Jesus.
The Holy Spirit through the body of Christ DELIVERS the HOPE message of Jesus to those who are lost and in need of a savior. Let’s preach, teach and live the whole message.
Blessings Love y’all