Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.” Isaiah 30:21 NIV
Sometimes I have to fill in for another bus driver to take their students home. Although I am given a route sheet, the students on the bus know the normal route the other driver takes. Usually a couple of students will guide me through the route. But I have to teach them to give me instructions.
For the smaller children, they sit behind me and say “turn here”. Great advice, but I can’t see them, and I don’t know if it is right or left. So I teach them which side of the bus is right and which is left. I also try so very hard for them to give me the information…early, instead of “stop here!”. Eventually, they make it home safely.
Having good guidance is wonderful. In Isaiah’s time, Israel was rejecting God’s prophets and listening to others. Judgement was coming if they did not repent. They refuse God’s way and chose to follow their own way of thinking.
Isaiah tells them that God is still gracious and merciful offering them repentance. Even in the middle of adversity and afflictions, God will bring them good counsel. Isaiah then pens the words from our verse today, God will speak a word declaring “this is the way, walk ye in it.”
Does God speak like this to you? Are you able to hear Him clearly for directions for your life? What clouds your ears of understanding? Are you “listening” for Him right now about some decision to make? Do you know how to trust the voice of the Holy Spirit talking with you?
- Jesus said He is a good shepherd and His sheep will hear His voice and follow Him. He makes it plain the His sheep have the capacity to discern His voice from other voices.
- The Holy Spirit leads and guides you into the ways of truth. His voice is always leading and not pushing. His voice is kind and firm, but not coercive, pushing or ultimatum driven.
- He leads by faith. It’s not blind, but focused on a response to obedience. You have promptings to engage. Peter and John were prompted to pray for healing for the man at the gate beautiful, but they were on the way to another meeting.
- His guidance is always consistent with His character. He will not ask you to do something that violates His commands.
- Responsive faith begets greater clarity. As you trust and respond in faith to the Holy Spirit’s guidance, you will grow more in tune when He is speaking to you. You “mature” into a comfortable trust walk that will always require the stretching of faith.
- Good counsel gives you options, but discerning His voice is still needed.
- Asking good questions can bring clarity for which way to go. What will the end result be? Who benefits most for God’s glory? Why is this important to me? Do I feel pressure to make this decision and why?
- Don’t be afraid to wait. Pray and worship in the waiting. Intercede for others in the waiting.
- When you are clear that God says to move, obey with joyful anticipation.
Through the presence of the Holy Spirit, it is possible to hear God speaking to you. May you be blessed today with clarity of guidance from the Spirit. May you be filled with anticipation of engaging in the journey with God. Let him who has ears to hear, hear what the Spirit is saying.
Somebody today is struggling to “know” which way to go. I speak “Peace” over your heart. God is for you and not against you. Don’t try to justify and make it work out. Saying no to something can still be following God’s leading. May you have the “aha, I get it” type of clarity today.
Blessings Love y’all